Tuesday, October 11, 2011

I have it soooooooo good.


Loneliness.

Loneliness is one of the most painful emotions. I'm not sure anything really compares to it. There is nothing quite as awful as feeling completely and utterly alone. People need to share commonalities, express hopes, dreams, fears to one another. People long to be understood. We all want someone to confide in, or at least someone to listen. No one wants to be alone. No one wants to exist singly.

And that's why I have it sooooooooo good. I have Nicole.

I get to come home everyday to someone else. I get to talk, make dinner, eat dinner, clean up dinner, do homework, read, get ready for bed, brush my teeth, read scriptures, pray, sleep, wake up, make breakfast, make lunch, pray, and send off to work all with someone else. If someone cuts Nicole off on her drive home and it really bugged her, she has someone to vent to. If I got a good grade on a test, I have someone to celebrate with. If she has an exciting idea for a new project, she gets to share it with me. I get to pick up her socks, she gets to wake me up in the morning. I get to live two lives in essence. Her successes are mine, my failures are hers. I get everything that my own life has to offer, and I get hers as well.

I have it so good.

This all comes from just getting home from tennis. I just got a new racket and really wanted to test it out and I was gone for almost 2 hours with Bridger at the BYU courts. When I got home Nicole was already asleep. I walked in and she started to wake and sleepily asked, "How was the new racket?" As eager as I was to tell her all about it, I replied "it was great." and let her drift back off to sleep. What impressed me though was that even though she was half asleep, she knew I was excited about it, and so she wanted to share in my excitement. Before I left she sat there and complimented my tape job as I put on the overgrip, telling me it looked "legit". It's just a stupid little racket, but it meant something to me, and so it meant something to her.



This is what marriage is all about. Heck, this is what life is all about. I will never experience loneliness. Ever. In it's place I have companionship, friendship, and love. If tragedy were to strike, I would still have her. Being married by the Priesthood in the Temple means that Nicole will be my wife for eternity, and it is the single greatest source of hope, happiness, and motivation in my life. I have no fear of loneliness, because I have the promises of eternity. I get to move confidently throughout life with the love of my life by my side.

That's why I have it so good.


1 comment: