Thursday, October 6, 2011

REACT TO THIS!

Thinking about "Reactions"

What does it mean to react? Something has to happen. I guess something doesn't necessarily have to happen, the important part is something has to be observed. You can't react to something that you don't observe... vacuously true. Reactions in that sense drive our existence. I've heard it said that life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it... and I'm thinking life is 100% how you react. The decision to act is in essence a reaction. Even an action that I would assume to be "out of the blue" has it's roots in an observation of some kind. No one does anything "out of the blue", that doesn't make sense.

A person can choose not to react in only one way, and that is to choose not to observe. I had no reaction to the cracks in the sidewalk today - I chose not to observe them. I did however react to the snow on the mountain, a result of observation. A reaction is not an instantaneous event according to my definition. My "reaction" to the snow came several minutes after observing. At first I thought - that sucks. Then I thought - I do enjoy the rain down here though, it reminds me of home. Then I thought - Oh no, the leaves in the mountains will fall off the trees because they're weighed down by the snow and now Nicole and I won't get to enjoy them as we had planned. Then I thought - well it just means we're moving along in the year, and soon Nicole will be done with her internship. Etc,. My final reaction to the snow was that I'm glad it reminded me of the Pacific Northwest, enjoying the rain, feeling refreshed, and optimistic about the future.



But what about "gut" reactions? They aren't made in the same way, so why should life be in some sense defined by these as well? I argue that a gut reaction is a second, third, nth iteration of a prior reaction. We've made a reaction with respect to something similar before, and thus are able to react more quickly. I think this is why people may "freeze" up in tense or unique situations; they have either not been presented with a similar observation, or have chosen not to observe a similar situation. If they had observed a similar situation, they would have reacted. This is not to say that they haven't been presented with opportunities to observe, like I said, people need to actively observe in order to react appropriately.

That's why being an active observer is such an important part of life. Life is all about forming the right set of reactions to observations, developing a healthy habit of considering what we observe. The best part is that reactions are truly an individual choice, and that reactions directly influence happiness. By my logic we can (after careful consideration and active observation) actually choose happiness. Sure, observations can and should lead us to feel sorrow, loss, depression, anger, and confusion. Understanding these allow us to empathize. But, we can always extend the reaction and choose to right wrongs, lift those who are depressed, seek help for our downtrodden feelings, and ultimately choose progress and happiness.

Thinking this way gives me hope to overcome any set of misfortune I should observe or experience, especially since I have a firm conviction in the observation of Gospel Truth. That added observation gives me access to a set of reactions that aren't inherently obvious. Take death for example. An immediate reaction is grief - and how appropriate a reaction it is! The reaction is extended upon careful consideration of the Truth of resurrection, and ultimately I can choose to react in a positive way and exercise patience and hope. This method of observation, consideration, extension from negative to positive, and ultimately choosing to react in an uplifting way has been a huge blessing in my life. And is utterly impossible in some situations without Gospel Knowledge.


No comments:

Post a Comment